Cyber Safety Statistics & Internet Safe Kids
Parents, if you don’t know about the need to keep kids safe online, keep reading… these online safety statistics on childrens internet habits will shock you!
* 95% of parents don’t recognize the lingo kids use to let people know that their parents are watching
* 89% of sexual solicitations are made in either Chat Rooms or Instant Messages
* 20% of children age 10-17 have been solicited sexually online; that’s 1 out of every 5 kids
* 75% of youth who received an online sexual solicitation did not tell a parent
* One third of kids have been contacted by a stranger and half of these were considered inappropriate
* 81% of parents of online youth say that kids aren’t careful enough when giving out information about themselves online
* 76% of parents don’t have rules about what their kids can do on the computer
* 65% of parents believe that kids do things online that they wouldn’t want their parents to know about
* 4,000,000 children are posting content to the Web everyday
* 15,000,000 youth use Instant Messaging
* 9 out of 10 parents will never know that any inappropriate internet contact has occurred- that’s 90%!
* 14% have actually met face to face with a person they have met on the Internet
* 1 out of 17 kids have been harassed, threatened, or bullied
* Nearly three-quarters (73%) of online teens believe that someone their age is most likely to be approached by someone unknown to them online as opposed to offline
* When asked how they responded the last time they were contacted online by a complete stranger, just 3% of online teens said they told and adult or authority figure
* Most kids will not report inappropriate Internet contact to their parents because they are afraid of losing Internet privileges
* 61% of 13-17 yr olds have a personal profile on social networking sites
* 44% of online teens with profiles like Facebook and Myspace have been contacted by a stranger, compared with 16 percent of those without profiles.
* 71% have reported receiving messages from someone they do not know
* 45% have been asked for personal info from people they do not know
* 48% of 16-17 yr olds report that their parents know “very little” or “nothing” about their online activities
* MySpace deletes 25,000 profiles weekly of users who don’t meet the site’s 14-year-old minimum age requirement
* From 2007-2009 MySpace has deleted 90,000 accounts because they were created by registered sex offenders
Fortunately research shows that adults are catching up with kids in the use of text messaging. In 2006-2008, texting by adults ages 45 to 54 increased 130 percent. Half of texting adults say they started sending messages so they could communicate with their children.
Article sourced from NetLingo a fantastic resource website dedicated to making sure parents are up to date with cyber language.
Online Safety Statistics are real, so how do we keep kids safe online?
Statistics on internet safety are only getting worse. So how do we ensure our kids stay safe online? First we need to educate our children to be “Internet Safe Kids” by making sure they use safe internet practices at all times, especially when using chat rooms, instant messaging and social networks, as these are the most popular and the most dangerous for our kids. We also need to set boundaries for their computer and internet use. See our Internet Safety Resource Center on ways to ensure you have Internet Safe Kids.
Along with education is just as importantly to monitor your child’s internet use at all times. Parental Control Software gives your kids the freedom to use the internet, at the same time flagging any behavior you feel is inappropriate.
Education and Monitoring are by far the best ways to keep your kids safe online and have Internet Safe Kids!
Best “Value For Money” - The Easiest Way to Protect Your kids Online – Guaranteed!
PC Tattletale Internet Monitoring Software offers more combined features per cost than any other software suite including complete monitoring, URL specific web filtering and keyword blocking. Best of all PC Tattletale gives you more bang for your buck! This combined with a free trial period, 100% money back guarantee and positive consumer feedback is why PC Tattletale is our Best “Value for Money”.