Chat Rooms Danger Alert! A Teens Guide to Chat Safety
Internet Chat Rooms dangers are real. Teens are often unaware of online dangers as they are in the comfort and security of their own home, which leads them into a false sense of security. This is what online predators are hoping for. Most kids are trusting and take what others say at face value, as life experiences haven’t yet taught them otherwise.
It’s so important to educate your children on how dangerous Chat Rooms can be. Chat Safety is a must! Chat Room safety for kids is not hard so long as they know what to look out for and how to handle it.
Here are some Chat Room Safety Tips Children and Teens can learn immediately to reduce their exposure to the Dangers of Chat Rooms to encourage “chat safety” and “internet safe kids”
Teens Chat Room Safety Tips – A Chat Safety Guide
- Never enter into private chats or private chat rooms with people you don’t know. Most kids know about Stranger Danger and are taught not to talk to, or give personal details to strangers in the street. The same rules apply, don’t do it with strangers online either.
- Be careful of who you trust or think you know. Online predators specifically target chat rooms as most kids feel safe as they are in the comfort of their own home. Just because you have seen someones profile, they are still a stranger.
- Think before you send a message. Once a message is out there, there is no way to get it back so think before you send the message and be careful about what you let others know about you.
- Stay in control. Never give out personal details, it doesn’t matter how well you think you know them. This includes your name, nickname, address, phone number, password details, email addresses etc. If they are a friend, get their home email address(not an online one) or phone number and communicate personal details that way.
- Always use a nickname on your personal profile and don’t include any personal details
- Log out if you, in any way, feel uncomfortable and make sure you tell a parent or adult immediately
- Learn how to block and/or ignore people.
- Learn how to save parts of conversations you may want to show your parents or report to the authorities.
- Never meet anyone you have met online in person. If you must meet someone in person make sure you discuss it with an adult so that they can make sure its in a public area and with an adult present.
- Know how to report any suspicious behavior to your chat room provider and tell your parents. Things like inappropriate comments, asking for personal information, talking about things that make you uncomfortable should all be taken seriously.
- Look out for your friends. Never use their information instead of yours and make sure they follow the same guidelines. Let your parents know if you think your friend is in trouble or out of their depth.
If kids use this Chat Safety Guide and stick to these rules, they will significantly reduce any potential Chat Room Dangers for themselves.
Apart from education you must also invest in some quality Filtering and Blocking Software which can set times they can go online (for better supervision), and/or block chat room sites you deem inappropriate. Parents can also set different filtering and blocking modes depending on the user. Some software can even block specific online users from chatting with your child so you won’t have to block the whole site. This software allows your kids the freedom to use the internet in a way you feel is appropriate.
Chat Rooms are a great way for kids to socialize and have fun, and it is becoming more and more popular. Set boundaries for your children to be internet safe kids, by educating them on chat rooms dangers and chat safety to ensure the experience is not just fun but safe too!
Best “Value For Money” - The Easiest Way to Protect Your kids Online – Guaranteed!
PC Tattletale Internet Monitoring Software offers more combined features per cost than any other software suite including complete monitoring, URL specific web filtering and keyword blocking. Best of all PC Tattletale gives you more bang for your buck! This combined with a free trial period, 100% money back guarantee and positive consumer feedback is why PC Tattletale is our Best “Value for Money”.